Thursday, August 8, 2019

Day two in Chobe

We left NZ a week ago today and it feels like a life time. I think it's the African warmth and sitting all day watching the world go by. I feel very privileged. By 6 am (yes an early start especially for me) we were on the Land Cruiser once again. A bumpy dusty ride along the river bank. Wildlife began to stir. A deafening roar of a lion as he came into view (cellphone not the best to photograph Musafa but lots of photos to come).  Chobe is far more touristy than Hwange. In Hwange I felt we were the only ones there but here we went by jeep convoy. We stopped for an early morning cuppa. Signs (resting on a tree and rather hidden from view) asked visitors not to leave toilet paper.  Tourists ignored this. It was a similar sight to what I saw in Abel Tasman national park. As a tourist it makes me feel sick that visitors do not respect the local environment. I hope Botswana has the capital and foresight to cater for tourists going forward-otherwise the country could be ruined.












I haven't mentioned much about the food since being on holiday. It has been exceptional and caters well for the tourist. I am hoping we will get the chance to try some more local food soon.  We breakfasted, wandered to the money machine (took lots of attempts at different machines to get any pulas), bought a couple of souvenirs and then settled on our deck for a bit of R and R. There is a jacaranda tree outside and boats cruising up and boats cruising up and down the river.  

Later on in the afternoon we went for a photographic tour. 10 people get to sit behind large cameras on tripods and go up and down the river photographing wildlife. I wasn't sure I would enjoy it but it turned out to be a highlight. The small boat could get up close to birds, crocodiles, elephants and hippos. We got within a metre of an elephant who suddenly decided to cross the river. The captain retreated quickly.  We got some cool photos of the hippo yawning and elephants walking but we will need to load them later.

The sun went down on another eventful day. Tomorrow we are off to the Delta.

No comments: