Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Goodbye Montreal

The alarm rang in my ears at 8.  I was awake rather surprisingly. The night club and festival had closed it was after all Monday night.  So a good sleep was expected. I should have told my hotel mates.12.30 on went the music. The supremes "baby don't leave me".  Loud and close the same song was played for 45 minutes. I kid you not.

I was up for my toast and strawberry jam. Suitcase accompanied me to ground level and I walked to the shopping complex.  There are 19 miles of underground passage ways and malls all linked to the metro. It had stopped raining but I thought I would give it a go. After all I had a map and thetre were sign posts. After a few wrong turns I asked a security guard for directions. He was one of the few people I had spoken to that were not bilingual. Using the universal language of  hand signals I headed on my way. I got lost again and so resurfaced at road level. I made the station with no further distractions. After I left my bag I started to explore a new to  me anyway part of Montreal. Found some lovely churches, stopped at a little cafe. Here the waiter asked me if I  wanted a fish with my latte. Thinking he meant a chocolate marshmallow one I said "non" with a smile. The baristar overheard and said he would give me something else. I was given a picture of a cat on my coffee. In this part of  the city English is spoken a bit more. I  didn't quite feel so alone hearing conversations I could understand. Mont royal was ahead. I  looked up and thought doesn't look too high for a Kaukau girl and off I went. I was pleased I did. Treelined walk ways and stairs to a great view.  Saw some chipmunks but very few birds. Where are all those Canadian geese - oh yes I  left them in NZ.

By this time Harry had arrived and we sat having a leisurely lunch (Harry ordered poutine pizza) and then we caught our train to Quebec City.  We are in an old house high on the hill above the city. Very quaint small bedroom where one of us needs to access our  suit case at a time and the bathroom is up steep steps covered with well worn red carpets.

Restaurants are great and there is plenty to  choose from.

No comments: