Thursday, November 4, 2010

Palmerston North and Back to the UK

I recently spent 3 weeks back in New Zealand, most of the time based in Palmerston North where I spent most of my time with Mum. It was hard visiting Mum each day, seeing her gradual decline, but every time she managed to say a word, smile, take a sip of tea was reward enough for myself, Cheryl and all those that came to see her.  On the occasions when she was asleep I would take myself for a walk into the square, for a coffee, a few hours in the internet cafe, to buy another book or just to walk around the city in an area I hadn't been before.  I have always thought there isn't much in Palmerston North - the uni, some pretty good clothes shops, and lots of motels.  But on this visit I discovered there are more things - like some lovely art deco buildings and homes which looked even better in the warm spring air, rhododendrons and wisteria- so out came the camera so that the art deco enthusiasts in England can see what a fast growing NZ city in the 1920's and 30's was made of.  And I was again reminded of the value of family and friends who were always there when I needed them.  I hope I can help them in the future as much as they helped me.  We said our goodbyes on the Friday and Mum was left to the tender care of the wonderful staff at Palmerston North Star Ward 2 (who went beyond their call of duty to support us and care for Mum), Cheryl and all our friends and family.  I flew back to England on Saturday and Sharon also flew out but the other way around the world.  We were met at different times by Harry at Heathrow airport who had bought Sharon a towel for a shower and some lunch for us to have on the way back.  It was good to see him again.




So, to try and get our tired bodies back into Northern hemisphere time zones (daylight saving had just finished and along came the dark afternoons) we stopped first of all to show Sharon Stonehenge (where we ate our lunch in marginally warmer conditions than when Mike and Becks had been over) and to Lacock Abbey where we walked around the cloisters talking about Harry Potter and the life of the nuns.  We had been there before but this time took the opportunity to see the first floor of the abbey which had been renovated in the 1800's.







No comments: