Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A few quiet weekends

It's been a quiet week this week - the six nations began so Chris and Ben came around to watch England beat Wales and then I spent the next couple of days in bed...getting over a bug. While feeling sorry for myself Harry did some more travel organisation for the holidays planned in the next few months Iceland and Turkey and then we went to the library. Unfortunately, the week didn't get much better and I spent quite a lot of it in bed - a bit of a recurring theme here. I perked up a bit for the weekend as Rebecca and Nylan came to stay. It was a glorious winters day and we took off to do the Poets Walk in Clevedon - a walk we have shared with others on sunny days and not so sunny days. It is called Poets Walk because Lord Tennyson wrote about In Memoriam A.H.H. for his friend Arthur Henry Hallam who died in 1833 and is buried in the little church. The poem was written over 17 years and is a "meditation on the search for hope after great loss touches upon many of the most important and deeply-felt concerns of Victorian society". I am afraid I hadn't really heard about it and so did a bit of research and then realised that some of the lines are very famous and often quoted ...
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam_A.H.H.





Its spring time and the snow drops are out, and the daffodils are thinking about it.  The next day we went to Cheddar Gorge and Glastonbury for an outing.  Cold and wet - but more cheese and chutney in our pantry made up for the weather and it sort of cleared for a wander around the quirky Glastonbury shops and abbey.






No comments: