Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ascot

Well Denise still hasn't shaken off the cough and cold she has and it was a great disappointment that she could not join me for a day at the races at Ascot.  I have never been to the horse racing before in my life so this was quite a special occasion for me.  I drove across to Ascot on Saturday morning and the weather was dull and drizzly and that meant  that the track conditions were "soft".  I have to admit it is quite a magnificent facility, and my ticket got me into the Prestige area of the course so I could mix with the well to do. Rebecca had a work function at the track that she was involved in but did meet me after they had had their lunch. Up to that point I had placed one bet on a horse and it won, so I was feeling quite chuffed with myself, after meeting with Rebecca I then had two more bets and both those horses won as well so I quit while I was ahead.


 




I was asked my secret for picking the winners and I told them that I looked at the form and if the horses were Irish as the weather and track conditions looked to me to suit horses from Ireland. I picked up £52.00 in winnings for a layout of £9 so I can say that I have never lost at the races!!  Ascot itself is celebrating 300 years this year so there will be a lot of activities later in the year. It was founded by Queen Anne who out on ride one day came upon this area at 'East Cote' and thought it would be a great place to let the horses run and so, as they say, the rest is history.

No comments: