Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bournemouth

While Denise is away in New Zealand, I am left to gallivant around the country on my own. We had booked this trip earlier and it was unfortunate that Denise wasn't here to enjoy it as well, but since the hotel was booked and we can't cancel the bookings I went anyway.
I arrived on the Friday night and enjoyed a walk around the area where the hotel is and just about every other hotel in Bournemouth. The next morning I went promenading on the Bournemouth beach front, went up to Poole and down to Boscombe Pier, I was walking for 4 hours, then had lunch.
Spent the rest of the day wondering round the gardens of the town before settling for a nice meal.
The beach huts at Bournemouth have an illustrious history, the first purpose built beach huts appeared on either side of Bournemouth Pier in 1906.

The next day as I headed home I visited the Bovington Tank Museum. This museum is dedicated to the history of the tank which was invented in Britain during the first twentieth century world conflict of WW1, it was conceived to be able to advance to the enemy lines and cross them while protecting the soldiers from being mowed down by machine gun fire.The original project name was 'landship' and was being controlled by the Navy under Winston Churchill who was First Lord of the Admiralty. It was his idea to change the name of the project for security reasons so the enemy wouldn't get an inkling of what it was about to 'Tank' and this name stuck.





No comments: