Sunday, July 8, 2007

Harry's day at the Yoevilton Air Day





































Today while Denise went to Glastonbury, I had to endure my first air show in the UK at RNAS Yeovilton. We had come here a couple of weeks ago to visit the Fleet Air Arm museum and it was here that we saw the advertising for the air day. It is only a 1 hour drive from home so we didn't have to leave too early.
Denise dropped me off and then went on her adventures, there was already a huge queue to get in and it was suggested that I by my ticket before joining the queue. It took over an hour in the queue to get in the gate as they had security doing checks on everybody's bags after all the drama over the car bombings here in the past week. It was after the start of the air display that I finally got in the gate but the flying displays were delayed so I didn't miss anything.
I got talking to an English couple in the queue and they were moaning about it taking so long to get in, they had been to shows at RAF bases and they seem to be more organised, we shall see because next weekend we are going to the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford. When I finally got to the security check they waived me in without checking my back pack, I guess I don't look like a terrorist!!
Talk about a kid in a candy store I didn't know where to go first, that decision was made for me when the flying display started only a couple of minutes after getting in. The first aircraft up was a Belgian Air Force F16, which was quite impressive, especially with smoke trailing off the wing tip smoke generators.
I then started to wander around the displays as you had a good view of the flying from most places on the airfield. The French, Dutch, US and Swiss were present. The Swiss were only ones to fly as they had their Patrouille Suisse display team with their F5E's.
While I wandered the naval historic flight went up with a Seafire, Fury and Skyraider. As is the way with the historical aircraft the displays were modest in comparison with modern high G demonstrations. The disappointment was that although it was on the programme to fly the Hawker Sea Hawk was only in the static park.
Next up was the Royal Navies newest Helicopter the Merlin, which was an impressive display for such a big machine.
Next was perhaps one of the highlights of the day with the Red Arrows putting on their display, one of the first of the new flying display season. They give a brief history of each pilot during the commentary and there was an ex RNZAF pilot who had come to the RAF after the disbandment of our own Strike wing, in the team. A very polished and impressive display and I will get to see them again next week at Fairford.
One of the other things I was looking forward to with this airshow was the fact I had bought a new digital camera the day before, this was so Denise could have a camera as well. I have been moaning for ages about the ability of the old Sony camera, we have, to take decent pictures at a distance because the lens quality isn't so great. From the results so far I am happy with the result. All I have to do now is learn about all the ways it operates so I can use all of its features, it can go into manual mode and set aperture as well as speed as a priority. It also has a high speed feature that allows you to shoot fast moving objects.
Next up in the display was the RAF's latest and greatest multi role aircraft the Typhoon. It showed some great high angle of attack stuff as well as good manoeuvrability.
The Chinook was next up and that also demonstrated great manoeuvrability for a big helicopter.
That was the end of the morning session of flying and it was time for the lunch break. After the break the 2 BAF F16's went home and we were treated to a display by the historical flight Seafire Mk 17, with Griffon power.
There was a display of formation flying by 3 Turbulent’s which was close to boring as the speed of them isn't exactly great, but they made it interesting by releasing balloons as each plane came round they had to try and catch or pop the balloons, which they started to do quite well near the end.
Next was a display by Royal Navy Lynx’s showing there extreme manoeuvrability and this was followed up by the surprise of the day as it was not mentioned in the programme and that was a Hawker Hunter from RAF Boscombe Down, after doing its display it landed at the base so a closer inspection could be had.
Now it was the turn of the Patrouille Suisse to do there display and they at least were able to make it look good and different from the Red Arrows.
Then came for me what was the highlight of the day and that was Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Hurricane, Spitfire and Lancaster. The flying routine is reasonably sedate but that is to be expected with 65 year old airplanes. It is the first time have seen a Lancaster in flight so it was special for me. I am looking forward to seeing them again next week.
The flying was finished off with a mass attack on the Airfield by marines, with support from helicopters, Hawks and Harriers, acetylene bombs going off all over the place with insertions by helicopters involving Sea Kings, Lynx’s, Pumas and Merlin’s. The show finished with a very brief display from the GR9 Harriers.
I then wandered around the static park to see the aircraft that didn’t fly, this included A10 Thunderbolts, Super Etendards, Tornado F3 and a Dutch Sea King. They also had the latest Apache in a hanger with the Navy of Tomorrow display and this also included a mock up of the JSF35 Lightning II.So that was my first English Air Show and can’t wait till next week for my second and this one should be really spectacular. As the kid in the candy store I went home having had my sugar fill and very excited about it all.

No comments: