Sunday, July 22, 2007

Friday and job interview and Okehampton






















Friday started with a job interview. It was wet and after catching two buses I was just congratulating myself that I had remained reasonably dry when about 50 metres from the building I got splashed (there was a high fence on one side of the footpath and unfortunately a huge puddle on the other). The first car went through with a moderate splash but the following three played a fun game 'Who can get Denise the wettest?'. I arrived at the interview very wet and occupied myself for the first 10 minutes in front of the hand drier in the Ladies. I've always preferred paper towels but promise never to complain again. I was pleased I had not been passed by a double decker bus or I would have been drying more than my skirt. Anyway, one hour to prepare a presentation on 'ways to fix a declining company', 60 minutes of presenting it and answering questions, and another 60 minutes preparing an internal document to encourage managers to meet targets and performance measures left me exhausted. Then I had lunch with the panel and the other candidate. (Two couldn't come on the day - or we would have had that group exercise where we all sit around and discuss things - presumably with the panel watching on and making notes about our ability to work in a team and lead). If I get through all that the job should be interesting working mainly on meeting performance targets for the bus and truck industry. Harry has also applied for jobs there so we just might be working in the same building. He has been offered one job but decided not to take it as it is going back into being a motor mechanic and he has decided that he would prefer to deliver training. But it is great the opportunities are arising.
We then drove to Okehampton (or as the locals called it Sokehampton - could it be because it rains a bit?). It was relatively dry and after we found our digs ( big old home built in 1901 - a bit run down but quite lovely - with ornate carpets and wall papers) we walked into town. The round house is an old 1700 toll gate (there were 4 toll buildings which stage coaches couldn't pass without paying to get into the centre). Had a nice pub meal in a pub with drooping ceilings and heavy dark beams and went for a walk around the town and through a park (which could have been anywhere in NZ - creek, ferns, greenery - it was lovely). We got some money out of the machine and were given a number of new £20 notes (did you know they put George Washington on them - only kidding but if you fell for it you are as gullible as I am) - it was actually Adam Smith - well they do look alike - big noses and wearing wigs!!
More photos to come when we can download them at home.

No comments: