Saturday, April 20, 2013

Blenheim

Blenheim

Easter weekend saw us touring around the Marlborough countryside.  Harry went to the airshow and I'll let him write another blog about that (all I need to say is that the view from the top of the Wither Farm Hills was somewhat full of aircraft and smoke trails and the walk was slightly less peaceful than it might have been on another weekend!!). It is a perfect place for biking, but I decided I wasn't quite ready yet to get back on, so we might be heading back this way sometime for a biking weekend.

We visited Lake Grassmere and the salt hills - its one of those places you always pass on the way to Christchurch, but it is worth a stop, especially when the sky is a bright blue.















We had lunch at a winery for lunch, saw the little cob cottage, the Omaka Museum and went to see Hyde Park on Hudson (Roosevelt movie) as well as wandered around some marshland.  




The highlight for me was wandering up to Mt Vernon on the day of the airshow.  I climbed 422 metres which is just slightly less than Mt Kau Kau.  Great weather and my first good walk since my  op.  4.5 hours - and with some left over energy to go and find an icecream at the end.  It is very brown down here - Wellington might be in drought, but it is greener than further south.








No comments: