Monday, May 21, 2012

RNZAF 75th Anniversary airshow

After all the airshows I went to in the UK it was inevitable that when an airshow opportunity came up at home I would find it to difficult to resist.
The airshow concerned was the 75th Anniversary airshow of the RNZAF held at Ohakea. The celebration was 75 years since the RNZAF was formed and was the biggest show that has been put on for some time.
The day started early for me as I wanted to be there when the gates opened to stake my place near the display line, I left home by 6:30am.
It was just as well as the airforce contracted out traffic control and they made a complete hash of it. It wasn't helped by the airforce closing the main entrance to the general public and forcing everybody to travel in the only other entrance to the south of the airbase.
I was there by 8:00am and so got in easily, parked and made my way to the display line and claimed my space. It transpired that it took a lot of people 3 hours to get in, some even abandoned there cars and walked the last 2 to 3 kilometres. I heard of some people who abandoned altogether there efforts to get there and went home.
I ran in to somebody I knew who had got there at 11:00am and was looking forward to seeing the flying display of the Hawker Hunter, I had to disappoint him telling him that it was the first aircraft display of the day at 9:55am.










The weather was great and the flying equally so, but I'll let the pictures tell the story.

No comments: